Monday, October 13, 2008

One Year Anniversary

So, believe it or not this week marks one year that we have been out of the country. When I think over the last year, I realize that we have learned a lot and probably changed a lot. It is amazing how much of the language we know and how much better we get around now as opposed to the first week we were here. I remember being scared of the subway and uneasy about getting into a taxi. Now I would prefer either of those rather than walking. :) Ha! I have learned so much...we have learned so much. But we have a long way to go, I think. There are still things that are very difficult at times, and I constantly have in the back of my mind, "how am I going to explain what I need in this crazy language?" But really, I think that we are doing well, and the kids are doing great.

I remember the first week we took Isaac to school and how difficult it was for him. Now he would go to school on Saturdays if we would let him. He loves it, and the only thing that is difficult is getting him to wake up some mornings. And Autumn...well, her only cultural issue has been trying to figure out why local people let her do anything she wants, while Mommy and Daddy have all sorts of "rules."
We are very thankful to be where we are and to have had all the help from those around us--you know who you are. :) And we are very thankful for the internet..for facebook...for emails and pictures of things back home. It has helped trememdously. God is good!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You Guys Look great. We are all so very proud of how well you are doing and how you have truly allowed father to be all apart of your lives.

Congratz!!!!!!!!!!


We Love ya'll!!!

Michele said...

Hi Cara - just found your blog through another or another or another (you know how that goes ;) ). Congrats on your 1 year - we moved overseas and are approaching our 1 yr anniv as well :). I've enjoyed reading about your adventures in China - what an amazing experience!

Don, Jana, Natalie and Rachel said...

It sure doesn't seem like a year! We miss ya'll so much and can't wait to see you again. Be sure that I will cook a HUGE meal for you with ALL of your favorites. (Brisket? hashbrown potato casserole? chocolate pie? ... does that sound good?)

Love each of you SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!

The West family

Mrs. McGoo said...

beautiful pictures! The family looks so good, happy, and healthy. Man what a provider we have! Thank you for keeping up so well with the blog, newsletters, and the constant contact I see floating over facebook. I know I do not comment much, but I do keep up and love hearing all the goes on. Love you guys, and so glad you're doing well.