Sunday, December 23, 2007

Merry Christmas



We finished up our last locals' party, and now we are looking forward to enjoying some family time. Christmas has come to mean so much more to us this year. Although it is difficult being away from family and friends, it causes us to look to the true reason for the season....JESUS!
This week we were invited to a Christmas party. Joel told me that we had been invited to sing them some songs. I thought...a few songs...a dozen people...ok. So, we went to the university and walked to the second floor. Upon walking in the door, I realized that this was not a small party, but a party of over 300 people! And it was similiar to an American talent show. WOW. I was a little nervous. OK, I was a lot nervous. We didn't even listen to the instrumental music before we went. So, we decided while there that I would just sing accapella a song very special to me, "Breath of Heaven." I was very nervous, but I know that it was a great opportunity.

This year we decided to start a new tradition for our children. From us, we bought them three presents each. The first one represents that they are a child of God (a fun toy); the second represents that they are a servant of the King (something that they can make and give to others); and the third represents the offer that they have for eternal life (something that teaches them about Jesus or helps them worship). It is a great opportunity to reinforce the story of the wisemen and what each gift represented (Christ as Savior, King, and sent to die). We have also been reading to Isaac each night the Christmas story as he puts a new piece up on our nativity wall hanging. He knows it so well now that he fills in some of the words as I read. :) It is very sweet.

We love and miss you all. We hope that all of you at some point can come visit to experience what life in a different culture can teach you. It really is an AWESOME experience.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you were wonderful! :) I love that song.. I wish I could have heard you sing it! --Linds

Erin said...

What a great way to give your kids gifts for Christmas. I had always heard of giving them 3 gifts to represent the 3 gifts given to Jesus, but I had never heard of each gift having a meaning! Thank you so much for sharing how you do Christmas. We will be implementing that next year. We love you and miss you!--Erin O.