First: “No toilet, no problem!” I have to admit I have seen these things before but I never had my camera. Friday is our Family Day each week. We took the kids to a big play area in the mall. I decided to stay with our belongings while the others played. I looked to my left, and this is what I saw. I quickly took a picture only then to think, “I can’t believe I just did that.” The mom just happened to turn and look right when the light on my camera flashed. But I just had to capture this bit of culture shock for you.
Second: Independence Day. As the day approached I was reminded of all the good memories I had as a kid….of swimming, eating homemade ice cream and watermelon, shooting fireworks, and BBQ. While we couldn’t do these things exactly the way we would in America, we did want to do something so that our kids would know about the holiday. So, we decided to have a BBQ. If you want to get some curious looks and BBQ tips…just set up your stuff in the middle of the apartment complex. We were told that we were the first EVER to BBQ in the middle of complex. Most of the time they go to the roof (it has to be HOT up there!) Or they go out to BBQ. Although the cooking tips were a bit “over-the-top” culturally, it was a great way to meet some of our neighbors who speak English but who have not yet seen us around or have been too afraid to start conversation.
Third: Summer Friend. During the BBQ, we met a lady who lives right below us with a son the same age as Isaac. So as I type, Isaac is over at his house playing! Isn’t God good? What a blessing. I hope that they will have many opportunities to get together and play. It will be good for Isaac to have some “guy time” and to stay in the culture as much as possible.
6 comments:
The video is sooooo cute! I love it. Adorable kids!
Awww that video is too cute!!! :) But that picture at the beginning is unbelievable!!! How gross is that???? -Lindsey
Regarding the trash can photo......WOW!!!! Great picture. That's freedom.
Love the video and the quote!!!
As for the the first pic???? Okay??? I can only imagine what that was like! And I thought the boys wanting to pee off the front porch in our neighborhood was bad! Who knew?
Please tell Joel that it is not appropriate for him to go to the bathroom publicly like that! :)
Love & miss you.
Jana
and "our God is great" for creating such beautiful and sweet blessings ... Isaac & Autumn!
Post a Comment