Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Struggles - Part Deaux
Well, as will be evident by the pictures on this blog post, one of my (Joel) biggest struggles here is remembering to take the camera with me and to take some pictures. My apologies to all of you. I mean, I know our children are adorable and all. But, I should have done a better job.
Without question, one of the deepest difficulties for me is the lack of deep. meaningful friendships. I hope this doesn't make me sound too much like a chick, but it can be very difficult at times. Whether I am trying to speak my kindergarten version of the local language, or I am attempting to communicate with someone who does not speak English as a heart language, it is just a fact that we end up relating on a much "shallower" level. It almost forces a more disciplined life, but it can be incredibly draining at times.
Along somewhat the same lines, it is a struggle for me to not be able to teach very much. That may sound strange considering the fact that I am a teacher here. Yet, teaching English in this environment is always on a much more basic level. Language is always an issue. Nearly always, we are teaching a very simplistic version of English. It is difficult for me, because I love to teach. Not just teaching basic skills, but I loved being involved in the lives of the students and seeing their lives be changed in the process. What I am beginning to understand is that, although those things do happen, it might just take a lot longer to see them happening here.
Thirdly may perhaps be the greatest struggle of all. I mean, just imagine for a second. One of the largest countries on the planet - approximately 1.5 billion people - a land mass equal to that of the United States - and not a single baseball glove to be found anywhere. This must be one of the greatest injustices in our world today. It is beginning to scare me that when spring rolls around, the smell of baseball in the air is becoming fainter and fainter. Now again, don't get me wrong. I am very grateful to have the streaming ability of the internet to watch many baseball games online. But when I am asked to list struggles of mine and I live in a place where the VAST majority of people haven't the slightest understanding of the game of baseball, you know it is going to make that list. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
as always a great update to know how to better pray for you. Thank you! and great pics too. I was thinking the other night as I couldn't sleep how old your kids will be when you return. it will be so weird for us all I think. well you have a while. and the world revolves around basketball btw not baseball!! hehe!!! hehe! ttyl
Thanks for the blog. We miss you and are praying for you. Wish I could bottle up the baseball smell and send it to you for your birthday.
Aunt Katie
Post a Comment