Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Struggles Overseas
You voted, and the result: you want to know more about struggles overseas.
I think that you would probably think that the food is a big struggle, but honestly it has not been as big of an issue as one might think. Of course, when we first moved here...it was really new and all. However, now we are used to it. So that has not been that big of a struggle.
My struggles (Cara) have been pretty much gender specific. One of the biggest struggles I have had is learning to cook without ingredients that I am used to. So for many dishes that I made in America, I am now having to learn to make substitutions or make them from scratch. It is not easy, and it is an everyday struggle for me...even after a year and a half.
As many of ladies struggle in America, I still struggle with my appearance. I know that it is wrong to struggle with this, and that I should rejoice in who God made me. However, most of the women here look like Chinese pixy-sticks. They are so thin! And in pictures, I feel like I am twice as big as them...or bigger. So, this is something that I struggle with. And Chinese people are not shy in telling you if they think you are overweight. They will tell you without you actually asking. So, I am always self-conscious. I am working on it. :)
Another struggle is being without deep friendships. Don't get me wrong, we have many friends here in China. However, because of the culture differences, these friendships just don't seem as deep. It is hard to find people that have the same interests and understand my feelings/emotions. It is just so different on many levels. So, I long for the visits of American people to our city. This longing for companionship does make my friendship with Joel that much stronger!
I am sure there are others, but these are the three that came off the top of my head. I will let Joel share his struggles next week. Hope this wasn't too depressing! You asked for it.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awesome C - that type stuff helps us in the States know how to better specifically talking to our daddy about you guys. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment