Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Summer Heat
The heat continues everyday. I really thought things would have cooled down by now, but I guess I am remembering TN weather...and not the weather of last year. Now that I think about it, I only remember wearing a coat three different days last year. So, I guess we still have quite a bit of time left for this weather.
Things have been going good here. The kids are back into the swing of things. Isaac has taken even more interest in reading and learning all about phonics. Autumn has taken an interest in cooking (not real food). They have been playing very well together.
Tomorrow night we plan on going to the pool. I hoped to take them quite often this summer. However, would you believe that pools don't open here until after 4pm? That is not the most convenient thing for me. I mean, I am starting to prepare dinner shortly after 4. We normally eat around 5 or 6 so that the kids can have some play time before going to bed at 8. So, needless to say....it has been a challenge to go to the pool and actually feel like it was worth the walk there.
Not many other exciting things have happened here. Joel and I have started to get back into the swing of things as well. The university started school on the 1st, so most of our friends are back in town now. Things have picked up, and we are a little more busy than we were a couple weeks ago. Just tonight, a friend called in the afternoon and wanted to have dinner tonight. Just one of those cultural/language mis-communications. Joel and I both thought that he and his girlfriend were coming here to cook. They even went to the market with Joel to buy food. Then they came in my house and took it easy on the sofa. I was thinking, "uh?!?!?" So, Joel and I began cooking--but feeling like we weren't really prepared to do so. The guy came in and just kinda stood behind us and watched. I think maybe he really thought we were cooking tonight--but I didn't realize that until actually cooking for him. Weird! So...dinner was not that great. However, it was a good learning experience.
And dad, I could have used your expertise. A friend of ours gave us two big fish. The guy that came tonight really wanted me to cook them "American style." I remember growing up seeing Grandpa "clean" the fish. So, I did my best. However, the fish just didn't really have much flavor--and it was not a big hit with our Chinese friends. Maybe you can show me when I come back next fall???
We hope to bring you more exciting things next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hahahaha. Don't you love cultural miscommunications like that? I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to cook fish. Put some lemon and peppers on them???? haha. The pictures of the kids are cute. Did mom make the little cowgirl outfit for Autumn? It's adorable. Miss y'all
Post a Comment