Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Discoveries

How many things are right under my nose that I have NOT discovered yet? Maybe I have some special gift for playing the guitar (yeah, right!) or maybe there is some treasure hidden in my house that I haven't found yet. Just this past month I discovered that my camera can do this really cool thing called "color accent." Basically it takes a black and white photo but keeps one accent in the picture. That means that it will keep all the greens or all the reds and make everything else black and white. How long have I had this camera? Uh....3 years! And I never knew. How cool it would have been to know earlier. :) Thank you, Natalie and Heather, for helping me discover this.I thought this week I would tell you some things that are different about living here. Just some reflections and thoughts.1. I think it is funny how when I lived in America, I drove everywhere. When I would go to a store I would drive around for 10 minutes looking for the perfect parking space. I now walk about 70% of the time. The other 30% is spent in a taxi or on my bicycle...and I still have a problem keeping off weight. :)2. In America I very much disliked going to the grocery store. I would go on weekdays in the morning to avoid the "crowd". When passing through the aisles I would look for ones with no one present. Ha!!! Now going to the grocery store is like Christmas shopping. There are rarely ANY aisles without people and getting down the main aisle is like playing bumper cars at the fair.3. In America I went to the grocery store only when necessary. It was my goal to go once a month, freeze all my meat, and only go back for milk or bread. Now either Joel or myself go to the store at least once a week and sometimes more. I look like a crazy lady when I spend anything more than 40 dollars. I get stares from lots of people because they go and buy food like EVERYDAY! They want their food very fresh!4. In America, again I used my car always. Now I have someone pedal me home on a 3 wheeled cart. It costs just under a dollar for them to pedal me from the store to my house and it saves my back from having to carry it all home on foot.5. In America I felt like I actually somewhat knew what I was doing in the kitchen. Now, just about every day I feel completely lost as to what to cook and how to put it all together. I am able to cook some of the same things here, but it is a much longer process for me. I am learning a lot about cooking from scratch and I am sure it is better for our health that way, but I have to be honest--I miss the simplicity of cooking in America.And I am attaching some random pictures. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree about your supermarket. It is SuPEr cRaZY! :)