Friday, June 24, 2011

Playing House

Sometimes I really just can't believe that I am 31 years old. When people here see me, they see a professional teacher, mother of 2, and they probably think that I have it all-together. However, sometimes it just seems like we are all "playing house." I go to the grocery store and look at all the cuts of meat (pretending like I really know what I am looking for), but in my mind I am thinking that I just feel like a little kid when it comes to a lot of things. I am not sure if that makes any sense. I used to always love "playing house" as a kid. I think I had 3 favorite things to play: house, school, and drive-thru restaurant. I always imagined what it would be like one day to have "my own family" and be a mom. I just really still feel like a kid-at-heart in so many ways, like I will never fully grow up.

Isaac has had 3 more swim classes since I last wrote. So for those of you following the lesson tips, after they taught him how to glide across the water while kicking his feet, they then taught him how to rotate one arm. So he would glide across the water with one arm in front of him and the other doing "swim rotations". The arm he was not using just stayed in front of him.


After he mastered that skill, they then added the second arm. Currently is having a problem bringing his arms directly in front of his head as they rotate. I am not sure if that makes sense, but Isaac tends to look like he is slapping the water at an angle rather than coming all the way in front of his head. So for the past 2 classes they have worked on just that one thing. They also attempted to teach him to float on his back, but I guess we have found another fear of his. He again doesn't like the unknown and doesn't particularly trust that his head is going to float. He has 2 classes left.



Last Saturday night we let Isaac skip class and he and Autumn went to go stay with their "Chinese Grandma". She wanted to take the kids to her apartment's pool and let them watch a movie, and it was a good chance for Joel and I to have a night to relax without the kids. Joel and I went to a Greek/Italian restaurant and then went for frozen yogurt. Apparently some Chinese man who lived in America for a few months really fell in love with frozen yogurt and wanted to try it here. It was pretty good, but it was much more like the taste of yogurt (not nearly sweet enough) and less like the kind in the states--and it was SUPER EXPENSIVE!!!

While we were out on our date, I got a text message from Frances (their grandma) telling me that Autumn fell and hit her head but that it was ok now. I didn't think much about it until Isaac called a little later sounding a little frazzled. He said that Autumn was trying to avoid the sprinklers at the entrance of the pool and she fell into a pole. She split her head and was bleeding a lot and the pool called the ambulance. You can imagine our shock at this point. It turns out that the pool was just trying to be extra cautious. Autumn's cut was only about the size of a child's thumb fingernail, but when we saw her my first sight was that her hair was matted down in the front (the entire front-about 1/4 of her head) and that a good amount of her hair was red from the blood. It looked pretty bad, but after I cleaned her up I was able to see that it wasn't as big of a deal as it seemed at first. (She spent the night at her grandma's house and we did not see her until the next morning. They did not clean her up because they think that it is unsafe to put water on it for a week's time).


Currently we are in typhoon season and loving it actually. It is a good break from the heat and by this point we are welcoming that. It has been raining off and on for a few days and it is pretty windy outside--but safe enough that everyone is carrying on life as usual.

No comments: