Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer break?

People here keep asking me when my summer break is, and I think everytime they ask I just realize more and more that I really need one! ha ha ha. Things have been unbelievably busy over the past 2 weeks which is why I did not write a blog last week. I hope I didn't send any scares your way by not being consistent.

2 weeks ago we went camping. I have to admit that I was a little nervous. I knew that we were renting tents, and I was afraid that they would be really nasty. I also didn't know what the surroundings would be like. Would it be like a camp site in America? Would there be showers, toilets, etc? I really had no idea. I also knew that we were going to an island, but I guess I was imagining "Man vs. Wild."

Well, we set up camp on the beach. I have never slept on the beach in a tent before. And the ground was a bit softer than it would have been in the woods, but I was missing those comfy sleeping bags that we have in the states. It was still a bit hard! It was hot, and I imagine that some of you would not have been able to sleep at all! However, we were pretty exhausted and it wasn't the best night of sleep in my life, but I did sleep some. Our kids slept like a rock--probably due to all of the playing and running they did up until that point. The tent was nice and wasn't anything different than a 2 person tent in the states.


Isaac's favorite part of the trip was chasing the crabs at night. They walked along the beach looking for crabs and trying to catch them. They caught several and put them in a bottle outside of our tent. The next morning all but one of them was dead and smelled like "ocean death." Autumn's favorite part of the trip was splashing in the shallow water, and she had plenty of big sisters to play with her.
The waves at this beach were the fiercest waves that I have ever seen. It was impossible to swim--although there was a swimming area. Everyone who went into the area just played--"fight the waves." Everyone would try to stand up and not fall over when the waves came crashing in. It was insane! Autumn refused to go out very far into the water, and I was surprised that Isaac was more adventurous.

Last Thursday a friend from the states came and she is staying until later in August. It has been really nice to have another white face to talk to. :) She is a student at OBU, so that is where we met her. She has been a real trooper and is learning a lot of the language. I have never met someone who could pick up on the pronunciation so quickly, but I do know that she had lots of practice before she came.

There is no other real news this week, we have just been teaching English everyday and helping our friend around the town. Isaac and Autumn have about 1 more week of school, and Isaac's graduation is this Friday. I will try to post some pictures/video from their performance. Love and miss you all!

No comments: