Friday, November 18, 2011

The World Is UPSIDE DOWN

If you watch the news at all these days, you might think this very thing at times. I hear Joel say it quite often "The World Is UPSIDE DOWN!!!" The things that people believe in these days and the things that they place their hope in is really humorous--yet very sad as well. I just thought I would share with you one thing this week that made Joel say his famous statement.

We have been teaching at an elementary school and one thing that has been very shocking is just how rude and disrespectful the kids are to their teacher. I don't remember seeing this when I was a kid, and the few times that I do remember something questionable happening--it was always a select few children who always seemed to be causing problems. But honestly now it seems in these classrooms it is more the "norm" to be disruptive and you actually stand out if you are one who pays attention and works hard.

I would say every day that I teach at the schools...several times....I find myself saying, "Ok...I will just wait on you guys to get finished talking and then I will continue teaching." It is out of control. The sad part--the upside down part--is that there is no way to discipline the children. I found out this week that some of the things that I have been doing in the classroom are actually against the law! I will abide by the law and refrain from doing them in the future (but in my heart I think it is absurd!). Apparently it is against the law to do anything that would be considered physical punishment. I know when I was a kid it was a big debate about "taking licks" at school. Some schools had this type of punishment and others did not. As kids we didn't like it, but honestly I think it kept the kids from misbehaving more than they did. So when I hear "physical punishment" that is what comes to my head. However I learned this week that physical punishment is much more specific than that. As a teacher I am not allowed to have the children stand up as punishment, stand outside of the classroom, or write sentences (which I have done 2 of the 3). And teachers are discouraged from altering the children's grades because if they do so then it is reflective on them as a teacher. I feel like in the classroom I have no authority. I am the teacher, but I have nothing to back up my position. I have no authority to do anything. So the kids do what they want, and they know that they can. They don't care about their name being written on the board. They don't care if you give them more homework--because they won't do it.

So what can I do? I give the children homework for English that consists of word searches and crossword puzzles, and parents have actually called the school to complain that the homework is too difficult (when all of the answers are on the back of the homework). I was told a couple of weeks ago to stop giving them homework--to just come in class and speak to the kids. But it is kinda hard to do that when I have no way of controlling them. :(

So one thing I have done that might not be physical punishment is that I have the kids who won't behave come to the front of the class and say several sentences in English. I guess honestly it is because I know that they will feel uncomfortable standing in front of their peers when their English is not that good. This tactic is pretty effective, however there are some children that refuse to come to the front. So I ask them to come and they tell me, "No!" I can't imagine what would have happened if I would have told my parents or my teachers "no" when I was a kid. And not only do they say "no," but they mean it. So it becomes a standoff. The last time this happened I stood my ground (which I have done each time). I literally stood there for more than 5 minutes waiting on this child to obey--5 to 10 minutes is a long time in a class of 35 kids. When he finally did walk to the front of the class he refused to open his mouth and say anything. So I made him stand at the front of the class for the remainder of the period--which apparently is against the law. I did give him a choice to either speak in front of the class or stand against the wall. When he wouldn't talk, I told him to stand. What happens 5-10 years from now? If teachers have such a lack of authority, how do they teach anything? And what happens as more and more kids catch on that they have as children have so much power?

If you have any ideas, Joel and I would love to hear them. We are both pretty strict when it comes to respect--which is how we were both raised. So constantly hearing and seeing these things is a big challenge for us--and it is a problem at home with the families we work with too. We see kids biting their parents, yelling at them, telling them "no", and just being outright defiant!

I also wanted to add a quick note to ask you to please be praying for me this week. This week marks 2 years since we said goodbye to our baby. Although I am in a much better place emotionally now than the past 2 years, it will still be a difficult week. Thanks in advance.

Cara

1 comment:

LeAnne said...

Oh Cara! My heart breaks for you reading this. My mom taught first grade and had similar exasperations. Her classroom became simply a survival baby-sitting job. What a waste of talent and such a disservice to the kids. My bet would be 50% of them have now served time in prison (not a joke). But I AM shocked you are experiencing this where you are. Our experience with college kids here are the complete opposite. I know I have some lines to read between, but I really am puzzled. I wish I could get a few more details from you, but I will ask some folks here who have been teaching for years (one is working with a local elementary school one day a week). I'll get back with you.