Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Living Abroad

I am recovering quite well. I still have bumps but they are much smaller and the redness on my face is completely gone. Last week we sent my pictures to a medical friend in the states who said she doubts that "ofuji disease" is a good diagnosis. The problem with this diagnosis is that it normally is found in people with a compromised immune system. Honestly I think that my immune system has always been a little weak--but not to the extent that would present itself in the case of ofuji disease. So it is really hard to know for sure if the diagnosis is correct, but I can tell you that the drugs that were prescribed have done their job! I expect that by this time next week I will be completely healed.

If it is indeed ofuji disease then I can expect recurrent episodes for the next couple of years. It is still a possibility that the "eruption" (that's what the doctor called it) was spurred along by the amoxicillin. So at this point I am not really sure what the cause of all this is, but if it happens again I hope that we can get a clearer diagnosis. I did read on the internet that with this kind of rash, it is possible that if you went to 3 skin doctors they might all 3 have a different opinion. :)

Enough with all of that...

American Mom and Wife vs. American Mom and Wife Living Abroad

No, we are not in a contest. :) This week I wanted to blog about how my life is different now that I live overseas....how my day to day function has been a learning process.

America: I go to the store once a week for the necessities and once a month to buy the majority of what we eat.
Overseas: I go to the store multiple times a week only buying what I can carry in my hands on the way home.

America: I buy lots of canned foods, frozen meat, frozen vegetables....
Overseas: I buy only fresh fruit and vegetables and FRESH meat

America: I drive my car all over the Memphis area.
Overseas: I ride inside a radius of about 3 miles all on an electric bike or I take a taxi.

America: If I want to drive out of town, I just buckle the kids in the backseat and go.
Overseas: I have to decide if I am going to take a bus, a ferry, or a high speed train.

America: If I am pressed for time, I pick up a "hot and ready" pizza from Little Caesar's
Overseas: If I am pressed for time, I call and order Chinese food from across the street

America: I don't like calling and ordering things on the phone because I am afraid that they might ask me something and I don't know the answer--like directions to my house
Overseas: I don't like calling and ordering things on the phone because I am afraid they won't understand my Chinese

America: I wear my shoes from the moment I step foot outside the door until time to go to bed.
Overseas: I only wear my shoes outside and taking them off is the first thing I do when I walk into anyone's home--including my own.

America: I shop for our clothes on the clearance aisle at Target
Overseas: I shop for our clothes at a flea-market style outdoor market (but the clothes are new)

America: Our thermostat is turned on 24/7; 365 days a year (unless we leave for an extended period of time)
Overseas: Our air is only turned on at night in the HOTTEST part of the summer. We only use heat in the bathroom in the COLDEST part of the winter. We just try to adapt to the weather and put on more/less clothes.

America: I go to a nice-sized fellowship with children's activities and lots of "extracurricular" events.
Overseas: We meet in someone's home with at the most 2 other families. The kids join us for most of the meeting except that they do have a separate B. study time

America: My kids have the options of playing recreationally with other children: basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, dance, etc.
Overseas: My kids have the options of playing more seriously: high speed rollerblading, kung fu, karate, taekwondo, ballet, Chinese calligraphy, ping pong, badminton (no baseball, softball, basketball or soccer)

America: My kids homeschool and then can play with other children the rest of the day.
Overseas: My kids homeschool in the morning and then go to Chinese school in the afternoon to make friends and have fun (while in class) So we homeschool from 8AM to 1:30PM; Chinese school is from 2:30 to 5:30 at the latest.

America: For our date nights, a friend would come to our house watch our children while we went to dinner and a movie....or even better...dinner and putt putt
Overseas: Our local neighbor downstairs watches our kiddos. We go out for dinner and then never quite know what else there is to do...ha ha ha

America: We find ourselves making a big circle on the map of places to go for Christmas and other holidays--very busy and lots of travel
Overseas: We have lots of parties at our own home inviting our friends; Christmas day is very quiet and very sweet with lots of ways to remember the real meaning of Christmas

America: If we are not careful, everyday can be packed with things to do after work and on the weekends.
Overseas: If we are not careful, everyday can be packed with things to do after work and on the weekends BUT we very seriously protect Fridays as our days to relax together as a family--our Sabbath and one night every 2 weeks as a date night

America: We tend to eat too much and not get any exercise because we drive everywhere. Even at the parking lot, we must get the spot closest to the door.
Overseas: We tend to eat less and walk more.

America: I forget that those around me are lost and in need of help.
Overseas: I try to make use of every opportunity with those around me.

America: I depend on other people to tell me what my FATHER might be trying to say to me.
Overseas: I have to depend more than anything on the HS to give me that message.

These are just a few things, and I am sure if I kept thinking I could come up with some more! As you can see, there are some things that are difficult about living here, but there are also some things that are very sweet.

I have been blessed by Him--that He has given me a heart that truly loves this country. You have to remember that love is not a feeling. It is a choice. I choose to love this country (and HE puts that desire in my heart), and sometimes it is not so easy but other times it is simple. But what I am trying to say is that from the moment that I committed to coming here, I have been here 100%. People told us before we came that there would be days that we would both want to pack up and go back to the states. However, we would need to remember our commitment and stay strong. I can only think of one time while we have been here that the thought ever came to my mind. Sometimes on my blog I might give you an idea that life here is miserable. I think a lot of times I use my writing as a way to "vent." But the truth is that we tend to talk more about negative things out-loud sometimes and that gives people a wrong impression. Part of that is because I am limited on what I can share on here, but part of that is just my sinful nature--whining, complaining, etc.

There are things that drive me crazy about living here! Those things present themselves because of selfishness that is in the hearts of people. So there is almost no need to say that there are things about living in American that drive me crazy too! The reason is the same. I am convinced that no matter where I live, I will feel like a foreigner--because this world is not my home.

2 comments:

Sarah Turner said...

We take our shoes off also...it is an Alaskan custom. One that is hard to break and one we will probably always keep.

Michael said...

Think of ya'll often! I'm glad you are feeling better! I so enjoy reading your blog posts and being kept up to date on your family!