Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Relief

This past week can be described as ...."relief". After giving our couch back to our landlord, we waited almost 2 weeks before our new couch arrived. And wow was I happy to see it come in the door. I think it is more comfortable than I remembered in the store. After sitting on a wooden bench for 2 weeks, anything would have been an upgrade! We are super thankful for our new couch and hope to fill it people this summer.

I also worked hard to put into practice my "rest and relaxation" modules. I feel so much better. Today for the first time in who knows how long, I just sat and rested. I worked on my digital scrapbooking and just sat and laughed at the kids for a while. I know that I can't do this everyday, but I think doing it a couple times a week (just "me" time) will greatly improve who I am. I haven't been the most pleasant person to be around up until this point. So, I decided to have 2 "me times" a week and an additional 5 modules that are restful with my family. It has made a huge difference so far. I encourage you to do this if you are feeling worn and weary! Heather, here is that link. (Look at the very bottom. It is actually an accountability form at the top.)
http://www.desiringgod.org/media/pdf/pastors_accountability_form.pdf
I am sure many of you have heard in the news about the tragedies in China's kindergartens. What a sad string of stories! Since the news broke a few weeks ago, they have had police guarding the gate of schools both in the mornings as children are dropped off and in the afternoon as the kids are picked up. And when you pick up your child, you must now have an identification badge given by the school. So, security has definitely picked up a bit. Actually this week I was reminded of how different our culture is.I went to tutor a young lady in English and as I was parking my bike near our training center, I could hear people yelling. I looked and saw one man in his 30's and 2 women yelling at 2 fully-uniformed policemen. The policemen didn't seem too concerned. They just stood tall with their weapon (I think it was some sort of police stick) and stared down the man. Then the man jumped in his car and drove away and the ladies kept yelling as they walked away from the gate. My student arrived during this time and I asked her what was going on. She said that they were upset because the security guard would not let them through the gate without their badge.

I just kept thinking..."it wouldn't go down like this in America." Or at least I don't think it would. It seems like respect for a police officer is in order (at least where I am from). I was shocked that they did nothing. I also was thinking "it seems like the parents would be thankful that security was high. Why wouldn't they understand that this is just policy?"

Well, I went on to teach my class. One hour later, we went outside to find the same man had come back and was arguing with the security guard and police officers again--exact same scenario! These are things that seem so different to me, and I don't know that I will ever understand this logic.

Tomorrow is Open House at Autumn and Isaac's school. I will make sure and take lots of pictures. :)

1 comment:

Mrs. McGoo said...

Thanks C - can't wait to check out the link. I felt so special getting a small shout out! Love reading how things are going, how you guys are adapting, and how the Father continues to reveal Himself to you guys. Love it! thanks!