Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Autumn is 4!

September 1 is just 4 hours away. And little Autumn will be 4 years old. When we left the states, she was just 13 months old. She has been here almost two thirds of her life. Isn't that crazy? I was reading today about TCK (Third Culture Kids) and the difficulties that they go through. I knew that being a kid out in another culture was difficult, but I think lately I am seeing how much things are going to be very different for them. I feel like people will probably look at them and expect them to be typical American kids, but they will not be. Sure they will probably look like everyone else, but their views about the world and life will be much different than their peers in the states. And so they will feel like neither the Big Red nor the Red, White, and Blue will be home to them. I am sure they may favor one over the other, but there will be things about both cultures that are very frustrating to them. They will seem to fit somewhere in the middle.

Do I think that we are doing them a great injustice? No, not really. I feel like they are seeing things that are very real and that will impact their walk with Christ for years down the road. I think they will see things about both cultures that are not God-driven, and I think although they will not be anywhere near perfect--they will hopefully be able to see that God's way is best--not the way of the world. Several times lately the kids have asked me, "where is home?" And my answer to them is that we are aliens in this world. This is not even close to where our home is. They usually laugh and say...you are kidding, Mom. But I want them to know that the reason we do not fit in with this world is because we are not of this world. We will be home one day, but we will not need a passport to get there. I think I realize that more and more myself. I want my kids to know that "home" is where God is, because we were made for Him.


The kiddos start school tomorrow. We have been doing the homeschool thing for the past month, but tomorrow starts local preschool. It starts every year on Autumn's birthday. So, tonight they are already in bed and hopefully having happy (not worriesome) thoughts about their first day in a new school.

This Friday night (your time) we will celebrate Autumn's birthday via internet. If you would like to know how you can watch live footage, please send us an email. We would love to have you join in!

1 comment:

Mrs. McGoo said...

Happy early Bday Autumn!