Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lots of Blessings

Just a few weeks ago, I decided to have a little science activity for the kids. We saw some sunflower seeds at the store, and I decided that we could plant some. It would be fun for the kids and it would be interesting to see if they would actually grow. We bought 2 packages--one package of yellow sunflowers and one package of red sunflowers. When I got home and read the package I realized that these red sunflowers are supposed to grow to over 6 feet tall! I knew that sunflowers get that tall. I remember my dad planting a whole field of them when I was younger, but I just assumed that both packages were for the dwarf sunflowers. Well, I was wrong.

So, we planted our seeds and before you knew it, we had sunflower plants out the wazoo! So far we have produced 37 sunflower plants (all on my patio)! Yes, that is not a misprint. I have given 7 of them away. Right now they are about 3-4 inches tall. I was down to less than 20 plants and then everyday that I went outside there was at least one more plant. So now I have 30 out on my patio. CRAZY! I don't know what it is, but because I planted them I have a hard time throwing them away. I guess I am going to have to give SEVERAL MORE away. I have been to buy pots twice already and I need to go buy more--and more soil. I mean, if I am going to give them away...I have to give a pot with it, right? Right now, at least every pot I have has 2 plants and there is one "magical pot" that keeps producing. I mean, it is nothing short of a miracle. That pot just continues to have a new plant--and after I take one out a new one pops up! Right now my "magic pot" has 5 plants in it. I wish some of you were here, and I would give you one. :) Anyway, I am not sure that I have ever seen a red sunflower plant. I am excited everyday when I see how much bigger they are getting. They are a really easy plant to grow. I will post pictures when they actually look like sunflowers.

Last Saturday, the kids and I had the opportunity to go to a children's conference in the provincial capital city. The conference was completely in English, and it was a good chance for the kids to meet others and play and learn some GOOD stuff. The conference's theme was princesses and princes and how we are all part of the Kingdom. It really was great!

This week I finally got my first language teacher for the year. Can you believe it? Finally! She is great--such an answer to prayer. She is very sweet and compassionate, and I hope that she will stick around for a while--at least until summer break. She truly is a joy to be around everyday. We basically just sit and talk--which is good because I am not one to make myself do that. :) We have a topic everyday and I learn vocabulary through all the things that she says that I don't understand. ha ha ha.

Easter is coming up very soon, and tomorrow night we are having our annual Seder Supper (Passover Dinner). Isaac still remembers the one from last year, and he told me today that he remembers last year I made him eat some kind of yucky vegetable. So it should be interesting to see how they do with it this year. I feel like they didn't understand much of it last year, but I think it is good to do.

By the way, we also have a blog about our city. If you are interested in seeing it, send me an email and I will send you the address. :)



No comments: